19th ranked Lions fall 103-102 to Fort Hays in MIAA Tournament opener

Kansas City, Mo. -- Despite a late comeback at the end of regulation and overtime, as well as a record-setting 42-point performance from Jason Adams, the 19th ranked Missouri Southern men's basketball team fell 103-102 in overtime today in the first round of the 2012 MIAA Basketball Tournament. 

The 42 points for Adams is a new Tournament record for games played in Kansas City. He went 14-22 from the field, including 8-9 from long range and 6-9 from the charity stripe. Adams now has 1,976 points in his career at Southern and moved into fourth place all-time on the MIAA scoring list, passing Daryel Garrison from Missouri State (then - Southwest Missouri, 1971-75). 

The Lions (22-7) had 25 points and ten rebounds from Keane Thomann, while Marquis Addison scored 16 on 5-9 shooting. 

Hays (19-8) had all five starters score in double-figures led by 26 points from Karron McKenzie and 22 points from Moses Dayee. Kendrick Morse scored 17 points, while Omar MCDade and Matt Simmons scored 12 and 10 points, respectively. 

Southern led by seven (9-2) early on, but Truman answered back and went on a 9-2 run to tie the game at 11 with 14:45 left in the first half. Hays led by eight (26-18) with 9:27 to go in the first, but the Lions tied the game at 36 with 3:22 left on a layup from Thomann. A three pointer from Christian Salecich with 1:10 left made the halftime score 43-40 Tigers. 

The Lions led again by seven in the second half (72-65) after a pair of free-throws from Thomann with 7:05 left in the second half. From that point, however, the Tigers went on an 11-1 run to take a three point lead (76-73) with 5:15 left to go. 

The Tigers led by three (82-79) with 13 seconds to go in regulation, before Adams made a pair of free throws with seven seconds left to get the Lions to within one. On the ensuing inbounds, Adams stole the ball and was fouled. He made just one of the freebies, however, and the game was tied at 82. Hays would not get a shot off in regulation to send the game to overtime. 

In the overtime period, Hays led by seven (99-92) with 39 seconds left, but the Lions mounted another comeback. A pair of free-throws from Addison with 34 seconds left cut the lead to five and a three from Adams made the score 99-97 with 28 seconds to go. The Tigers led by four (103-99) after free throws from McKenzie and Lance Russell, but the Lions got another huge three from Adams to cut the lead to one (103-102) and fouled to stop the clock. Hays missed both free-throws, but a last-second shot would not go for Southern. 

The Lions shot 49 percent from the field in the game and 48 percent from long range, while making 73 percent of their free throws. Southern was out rebounded 41-36. 

The Lions will now wait to see their fate unfold as the Division II Selection Show will be streamed online Sunday night. Stay tuned to www.mssulions.com for details on time and where the Lions may be heading.